Saturday, March 18, 2017

CIRCLE TIME QUESTIONS for Jessica's Special Buttons

CIRCLE TIME ACTIVITIES ...



CSI — SILENT STATEMENTS

CHANGE SEATS IF … “
·      you enjoyed the story
·      the story made you feel uneasy
·      you think the story could happen in Australia
·      the story is just about buttons
·      you liked Jessica’s Grandma
·      you think Jessica did the right thing in talking to her Grandma
·      you think you understand how Jessica felt
·      you  thought Grandma should have asked about Jessica’s sadness
·      the story is about more about feelings than buttons
·      you think you know what Jessica’s sad problem was about
·      you think that Jessica’s Grandma is the hero in the story
·      you felt sorry for Jessica
·      you think you understand what value is about 
·      you know a person just like Jessica
·      you thought the story did not have a proper ending
·      you would change something about the story


OPEN-ENDED STATEMENTS

·      The best thing about the story was…
·      The story made me feel…
·      The character I liked best was…
·      I think the story is about…
·      The main character made me feel…
·      If I were a character in the story I think I would be…
·      The character in the story most like me was…
·      If I were Jessica, I think that I would have chosen to…
·      I think the most important part of the story was…
·      What puzzled me about the story was…
·      Something I would like to change in the story is…
·      I think that the main message in the story is…
·      The strongest virtue / value I identified in the story was…
·      If I were Jessica’s Grandma I would…
·      If I were one of Jessica’s family I would …
·      If I were to place some buttons on Jessica’s Value Scale I would…
·      If I were to place some buttons on my own Value Scale I would…
·      I think the link between Jessica’s sadness and her sense of value was…
·      In this story another word for value could be…


OPEN-ENDED JUSTIFIABLE STATEMENTS

Any of the above open-ended statements can be used with ‘because’ added on the end as well as:

·      The story was interesting because…
·      didn't like this story because…
·      The character in the story I liked the most was… because…
·      I think Jessica’s problem was… because…
·      I think that the story did not have a proper ending because…
·      I think that Jessica's Grandma is the hero because…
·      I think Jessica found it hard to talk about her problem because…
·      The link between Jessica’s sadness and her sense of value was… because…
·      I think Jessica’s Grandma chose to use buttons because…
·      Instead of $5 and buttons I think I would have used…because…


PAIR SHARE (with the person next to you in the circle):

·      What was the best part of the story? Why?
·      Who was your favourite character in the story? Why?
·      What was the turning point in this story? Why?
·      Were there any issues of right and wrong within this story? If so what were they?
·      Why do you think that Jessica’s Grandma focused on value rather than sadness?


OPEN GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS...
 for older students.
Reminder: This is also an opportunity for the teacher / facilitator to come back to any observations during the previous CIRCLE TIME activities and open them up for discussion.

·      Are there any deeper issues of concern about Jessica’s sadness which suggest she perhaps should speak to a trained counselor or psychologist? If so what might they be?
·      What other responsibilities might Jessica’s Grandma have had?
·      What responsibility might Jessica's friends or teachers have?

·      What issues of self-harm might arise from this story?


FOR EXTENDED CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES CLICK HERE

I AM SPECIAL POEM





No comments:

Post a Comment