Saturday, March 18, 2017

CIRCLE TIME QUESTIONS for Jackson Uncovers Hidden Treasure

CIRCLE TIME ACTIVITIES ... 



‘CSI …’ — SILENT STATEMENTS


“CHANGE SEATS IF …”
·              you enjoyed the story
·              the story made you feel uneasy
·              you think the story could happen in Australia
·              you liked Jackson’s Grandpa
·              you think Jackson did the right thing in talking to his Grandpa
·              you think you understand how Jackson felt
·              you think Grandpa should have asked about Jackson’s sadness
·              the story is more about feelings than stones and pebbles
·              you think you know what Jackson’s sad problem was about
·              you think that Jackson’s Grandpa is the hero in the story
·              you felt sorry for Jackson
·              you think you have a better understanding of what value is about 
·              you know a person just like Jackson
·              you thought the story did not have a proper ending
·              you would change something about the story


OPEN-ENDED STATEMENTS
·              The best thing about the story was …
·              The story made me feel …
·              The character I liked best was …
·              I think the story is about …
·              The main character made me feel …
·              If I were a character in the story I think I would be …
·              The character in the story most like me was …
·              If I were Jackson, I think that I would have chosen to …
·              I think the most important part of the story was …
·              What puzzled me about the story was …
·              Something I would like to change in the story is …
·              I think that the main message in the story is …
·              The strongest virtue / value I identified in the story was …
·              If I were Jackson’s Grandpa I would …
·              If I were one of Jackson’s family I would …
·              If I were to choose one of Grandpa’s stones and pebbles I would …
·              I think the link between Jackson’s sadness and his sense of value was …
·              In this story another word for value could be …


OPEN-ENDED JUSTIFIABLE STATEMENTS:
Any of the above open-ended statements can be used with ‘because’ added on the end as well as:
·          The story was interesting because ……
·          I liked / didn’t like this story because ……
·          The character in the story I liked the most was ……   because ……
·          I think Jackson’s problem was ……… because ……
·          I think that the story did not have a proper ending because ………
·          I think that Jackson’s Grandpa is the hero because ……..
·          I think Jackson found it hard to talk about his problem because ……
·          The link between Jackson’s sadness of his sense of value was …… because ……
·          I think Jackson’s Grandpa chose to use stones and pebbles because ……
·          Instead of stones and pebbles I think I would have used …… because ……

PAIR SHARE with the person next to:
·          What was the best part of the story? Why?
·          Who was your favourite character in the story? Why?
·          What was the turning point in this story? Why?
·          Were there any issues of right and wrong within this story? If so what were they?
·          Why do you think that Grandpa focused on value rather than Jackson’s sadness?
·          Why do you think Jackson's Grandpa said that Jackson had chosen the right stone?
·          How might the story have changed if Jackson had chosen a different stone?

OPEN GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS for older students.
Reminder: This is also an opportunity for the teacher / facilitator to come back to any observations during the previous Circle Time activities and open them up for discussion.
·     Are there any deeper issues of concern about Jackson’s sadness which suggest he should perhaps speak to a trained counsellor or psychologist? If so what might they be?
·     What other responsibilities might Jackson’s Grandpa have had?
·     What responsibility might Jackson’s friends or teachers have?
·     What issues of self-harm (if any) might arise from this story?


FOR EXTENDED CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES CLICK HERE

I AM SPECIAL POEM





No comments:

Post a Comment